Motivation TIPR



The teacher I observe at MMHS in Mapleton Utah makes me excited to teach. The way she creates lessons, engages her students, and involves the class instills an excitement within me I didn't know what there. I am EXCITED to teach after each observation in her classroom and I hope to all the Gods, the new gods, and the old gods, that I will be half the teacher she is. 

The observations I've made of her motivating her students don't come from one lesson but from multiple lessons. I've seen her teach English 11, and get her students excited about Gatsby, or how she encourages them in her Creative Writing classes to write pages and pages from a single prompt. 

I've noticed she does this because of one simple idea, SHE BELIEVES IN HER STUDENTS. She believes that they can finish the assignment, that they can create a character, that they can understand the deeper meaning behind Daisy and her co-dependent personality.  She believes that her students will learn, love, and engage in her classroom and because she believes in them, they believe in themselves. 

She motivates her students by believing in them. When I asked her about this, she didn't even realize, she simply said, "Well, of course, I believe in them. If they are here in my classroom they are here to learn." she knows that they can learn, and she wants them to learn. 

Each day I see her do different things to motivate her students. From giving journal writes that are actually fun and exciting for students to write, and warning them before they start writing that they will have to read them to the class, she gets each of them to write something. Then she randomly calls on students to read they're responses to the class, but before they start, she tells them they can earn extra credit by using drama and voices in their readings, which works. I am so entertained by her students reading their stories at the beginning of each class, the voices, the stories, the excitement, and how everyone is engaged, the whole class. 

They way she motivates her students is exciting for everyone and engages everyone. Including me, while I observe her class. 

Comments

Popular Posts